Saturday, October 31, 2020

Skillet rice

This is one of those recipes which simply evolved over time.  It started with a Rice-a-Roni knockoff, then lost the noodles (rice-based instant ramen works, btw), then I tweaked the proportions until I got to this version.  I've adapted it to the Instant Pot when I didn't have a stove to cook on.  I've used it for lunch, dinner, and potlucks.  I usually eat it with homemade kosher dill pickles, to give it some zip, but it's fine on its own.

I use basmati rice, but any true long-grain rice will be fine. Don't cut the butter down to less than 4 tablespoons, or it'll start really sticking together.

Skillet Rice
serves 3-4

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1-1/2 c. long-grain white rice
3/4 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika [smoked is excellent]
2 c. chicken broth [I use Trader Joe's, which has a lot of flavor of its own]
1 c. water
5 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

In a large skillet set over medium-low heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the rice and cook until it turns bright white, about 5-7 minutes.

Stir in the spices and garlic, then pour the broth and water into the skillet and stir to combine. Distribute slices of butter across the surface. Once the mixture simmers, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the cover, add the parsley, cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until all of the broth is absorbed. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment